Google
 

Thursday 2 October 2008

A response to a comment...

Before you take on a job as a librarian, first find out if it is what you really want to do.

The majority of jobs require a degree in librarianship and some demand a post-graduate degree in the subject. Sometimes the pay is really good, but at other times not so good. I would say you have to look at each job on its merits. For an example of wages, my job before it's pro-rata'd is around £26,000, I know the public
sector school librarians are around £17,000 - and they are the highly paid ones!

Also look at the job spec. I work for a school as you know and there are parts I hate but really love as well. Notably I love the actual librarian side stuff but schools expect more. For example I look after 40-60 school children on my own for two hours each evening. Not really clever considering I am partially sighted but that is what the school wanted - a part time librarian who doesn't mind baby sitting. Except that is not what they said at the interview - ooh am I sounding bitter at all?
I am now looking for a university or government job. I may not get the holidays but I won't be babysitting either!

Things to love about being a Librarian:
Buying new books - ooh they smell gooood
Cataloguing - mindless but relaxing
The interaction with the good kids - they can be really funny!
Having control of your department, from spending to how the library looks.
Getting to read kiddie books
The HOLIDAYS

Things to hate about being a Librarian:
Interaction with the bad kids
Prep
Having to shout at/tell off kids

No comments:

Do you believe in Chartership?