Google
 

Thursday 28 February 2008

Growing up

Well at 31 it seems I am finally growing up, Today was a relatively uneventful day. Lunch went without a hitch, my assistant had hers and left and I was left in full control again. Until the Biology teacher came in...

The Biology teacher is also the careers teacher and while I like him (I tend to like everyone) he does come across as being thoughtless. A few weeks ago he set a competition for the seniors as homework. Very laudable you may think, Except this one was for creating a paper aeroplane that flew the furthest, Guess who got the fall out from that little endeavour? Yes, you got it, us. You try explaining to a group of year 8 & 9s that the library is not really the place to test their new constructions out. You only get "...but Miss, it's homework!)

Anyway so today the same teacher walks into the library in what is supposed to be the extremely quiet time if not silent time and conducts a meeting with a pupil! Not only that but he talks with his normal speaking voice which in the silence of the library sounds like a gong repeatedly going off.

At the time I was trying to compose a letter to send out with some overdues. A tricky one as I wanted to set the right tone but I was finding it hard to concentrate with his voice droning on. I waited a few minutes getting extremely frustrated until I could take it no more. By this time the kid had gone to look up something on the conputer at the other side of the room so I took the opportunity to go to speak to the guy.

I'm quite proud at myself, I didn't yell and I sounded very composed. I just mentioned that I would appreciate some warning if he was going to have meetings in the library and that it was as if I decided to go into his room while he was teaching and started covering ibrary books. He laughed at that but I got my point across. He apologised and I took the opportunity to tell him about some books I had purchased for the library which he might be interested in.

So there you are. I actually stood up for myself instead of stewing in silence. I may be finally growing up...

No comments:

Do you believe in Chartership?