Google
 

Monday 4 February 2008

Should MPs be above the law

Not being a political monster I let most news about politicians just wash over me. Basically I don't care what politicians do in their spare time, or if they employ their family to help them run their campaigns. I mean good on them. If they can get someone to work extremely long hours without complaining, fair enough as long as they can actually do the work.

Still the latest news did put a chill down my spine. Today with all the covert surveillance our governments do, where any one of us can be watched and recorded on a whim just walking down the street, I think its ridiculous that MPs should think they are better than us and should be exempt.

As I tell the kids in the library there shouldn't be one rule for one person and another for someone else. MPs are elected to do a job and to be fair most of them do a good one. They work long hours and help a lot of people but that still doesn't put them above the law or above the rules that the rest of us live by.

I am completely shocked at the MPs attitude to the Wilson Doctrine (that MPs sholdn't be bugged). It is out of date and should be abolished in this day and age. They shouldn't be able to on one hand endorse keeping people in custody without charge for longer and longer amounts of time in the name of fighting terrorism but then say they are exempt from he same technology and techniques that caught those other people. that would be hypocritical.

...and that is the reason my friends why I don't like politicians. Once they are elected some of them think they are above everyone else. ...and what did they do to get this superhuman status, climb everest? become the first astronaut to get to Mars? perhaps cure the common cold? nope they managed to trick us into voting for them. Grrr....

No comments:

Do you believe in Chartership?