Google
 

Sunday 30 December 2007

Films from Books: Golden Compass vs Stardust

I went to see the Golden Compas recently and I have to say I was completely gutted. You have to understand the children I work with rave about Northern Lights. "It's brilliant they tell me, you have to read it!"

Well, I am quite lazy about reading some things. We have several copoies of this book and they fly off the shelf and I know its OK for the kids to read so I have been concentrating on the other books we've been getting. So I thought I'd watch the film... It'd have to be as good wouldn't it?

We settled down ,the H2b and me on the front row (I am the Batty Librarian after all - I can't see from further than that!) and started to watch. The first thing, which has nothing to do with the film, which disgruntled me was the cold breeze decending from on high. What idiot thinks air conditions is a good idea in the middle of December?

So there I am with my white furry hood and coat wrapped snuggly around me ready to concentrate on the film. Quite apt for that film, don't you think? Well to say I was disappointed would be an understatement! I obviously hadn't read the book at this point so I thought it was so-so - not the brilliant story the kids had been telling me.

The next day I took the book out of the library - being a Friday I read it over the weekend. Now the book - that is brilliant - can't fault it. There are a few discrepancies with the film. Why do they do it? The book is obviously popular - why mess with a winning formula? Everyone I've talked to about this says it was the worst film they saw this year - that includes children and adults!!

So Stardust. I saw this a few weeks before. A friend had leant me the book a couple of years ago and I just hadn't got around to reading it. The writing style was a bit long-winded for my personal taste. Still I thought the film was BRILLIANT and so did the people I talked to. I tried reading the book again but unfortunately I got half way through and just gave up - the film is undoubtedly better. In this case messing with the formula was areally good idea. Saying that the book is not really aimed at children from what I read and they needed to change it to make it suitable for children to read.

Anyway ranting over, my recommendation is:

Stardust
Watch the film - avoid the book

The Golden Compass
Avoid the Film - Read the book!

2 comments:

jsi said...

Hi my name is Jessie and I was browsing through eblogger, clicking "next blog" and found you. I am an avid reader, insisting to make sure the book is read before the movie is viewed. I found P. Pullman's book to be miscategorized as juvenile literature, not especially written for kids at all. His trilogy is written in an exciting and spellbinding and controversial style. I read the 1st of his trilogy about 10 years ago it seems and found it a captivating read. i argued alot with the author through book 2 and 3, but that is waht an author is supposed to promote - interaction.
Sorry you had such a miserable movie experience. Our movies this weekend included National Treasure and The Waterhorse - we were doused with history, conversation, simplicity and reconciliation. A weekend well spent at the cinema.
Embrace and enjoy 2008. I look forward to following your posts.

Anonymous said...

I wrote out a great big comment and then lost it! So I'll try to rewrite from memory.

I have to agree with you on the Golden Compass. The film was technically a good film - good cast, good acting, good CG. But there was something lacking and I came out feeling a bit let down.

Stardust I also loved to pieces. It was a great well written and fun film.

But I'll have to disagree on the book front! Stardust is my favourite book. I only brought 3 books with me to the UK and that was one of them. But you are right to say it's not aimed at children. It's an adult fantasy, and Neil has always said it was intended as such. Unfortunately, marketers see fantasy as equalling kids. :-/

(small disclaimer: I am a bit of a Neil Gaiman fangirl!)

Do you believe in Chartership?